Women's & Gender Studies Minor
Are you ready to make a difference?
The Women’s and Gender Studies (WGS) Minor empowers students to question and contribute to knowledge creation, community formation, activism, creative practice, and policymaking from interdisciplinary feminist perspectives. Scholarly inquiry, education and activism in Women's & Gender Studies at Cal Poly utilizes an integrative approach, exploring the intersections of gender, race, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, dis/abilities, citizenship status, and other social categories within both national and transnational contexts.
Program Learning Objectives - WGS students will:
- Develop skills in critical thinking, writing, and oral communication.
- Demonstrate substantial knowledge of foundational and contemporary research and theoretical literature in the field of Women’s & Gender Studies.
- Gain an understanding of how the interdisciplinary field of Women’s and Gender Studies creates new knowledge and draws upon and utilizes the perspective of multiple fields, such as the humanities, arts, and social and behavioral sciences.
- Understand the ways in which genders and sexualities shape and are shaped by social, political, ethical, economic, legal, cultural, scientific and technological factors and institutions in historical and contemporary contexts, with special attention paid to the intersections of gender, race, and class, and sexuality in national and transnational contexts.
- Employ key concepts in Women’s & Gender Studies scholarship to conduct independent research and analyses on a variety of topics.
- Develop skills that allow them to identify and engage with issues of social justice.
Please see our list of tentative course offerings!