Assistant Professor School of Education
- Office: Bldg. 2, Rm. 135
- Phone: 805-756-6553
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.elizabethjmeyer.com
- Twitter: @lizjmeyer
About Elizabeth Meyer
Elizabeth J. Meyer is an Assistant Professor in the School of Education and Affiliated Faculty with the Women’s and Gender Studies program. She is the author of Gender, Bullying, and Harassment: Strategies to end sexism and homophobia in Schools (Teachers College Press, 2009) and Gender and Sexual Diversity in Schools (Springer, 2010). She is also co-editor of the Gender and Sexuality in Education series for Peter Lang Publishing that includes the co-edited volume Supporting Transgender and Gender Creative Youth: Schools, Families, and Communities in Action. Dr. Meyer is a former high school teacher and Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program Grantee (France). Dr. Meyer completed her M.A. In Social Foundations of Education at the University of Colorado, Boulder and Ph.D in Integrated Studies in Education at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Her current research investigates teachers’ experiences, attitudes, and beliefs regarding gender and sexual diversity in K-12 schools. She is the editor-in-chief of Sprinkle: An undergraduate journal of feminist and queer studies. She blogs about current issues related to gender and education for Psychology Today. Dr. Meyer teaches WGS 201: Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies and WGS 340: Introduction to Sexuality Studies.
- Ph.D., Culture and Values in Education, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- M.A., Social, Cultural, and Bilingual Foundations of Education, University of Colorado, Boulder
- Bullying and harassment
- Gender and sexual diversity in schools
- Law and policy
- Critical and culturally responsive pedagogies
- Media and technology in education
- Electronic portfolios
- Meyer, E. (2009) Gender, Bullying, and Harassment: Strategies to end sexism and homophobia in schools. Teacher’s College Press: New York, NY.
- Meyer, E. (2010) Gender and Sexual Diversity in Schools. Springer: New York: NY.
- Meyer, E., Abrami, P., Wade, A., Scherzer, R. (2011) Electronic Portfolios in the Classroom: Factors Impacting Teachers’ Integration of New Technologies and New Pedagogies. Technology, Pedagogy, and Education 20(2), 191-207.
- Meyer, E. & Lesiuk, V. (2010) Subverting the Ivory Tower: Teaching through critical conversations. Cultural Studies ⇔ Critical Methodologies 10(5), 394-396.
- Meyer, E. (2010) Teachers, Sexual Orientation, and the Law in Canada: A Human Rights Perspective. The Clearing House: A Journal of Educational Strategies, Issues, and Ideas for Middle & High School Teachers, 83 (3), 89-95.
- Meyer, E., Abrami, P., Wade, A., Aslan, O. & Deault, L. (2010) Improving literacy and metacognition with electronic portfolios: Teaching and learning with ePEARL. Computers and Education, 55 (1), 84-91.
- Meyer, E. & Stader, D. (2009) Queer youth and the Culture Wars: From the Classroom to the Courtroom. Journal of LGBT Youth, 6(2), 135-154.
- Meyer, E. (2008) Who we are matters: Exploring teacher identities through found poetry. LEARNing Landscapes. 1(3), 195-210.
- Meyer, E. (2008) Gendered harassment in secondary schools: Understanding teachers’ (non)interventions. Gender and Education 20(6), 555-570.
- Meyer, E. (2008) A feminist reframing of bullying and harassment: Transforming schools through critical pedagogy. McGill Journal of Education 43 (1), 33-48. see CV for Book sections and edited books